Tuesday, September 15, 2009

I'm the BUBBLE MAN

My life changed exponentially one afternoon in mid-July 2009. One of the Philly mag interns, Julie, and I were strolling around Center City taking some work-related pictures. It was a hot day, so we made a little pit stop in Love Park to relax in a shady spot. We sat in silence, watching as a group of middle-aged men had their photo taken in front of the Love statue by their wives. Suddenly, as if he descended from heaven, a large man appeared. He was shouting, "I'm the BUBBLE MAN!" and he had in his hand... a bubble gun. While repeatedly SCREAMING "I'm the BUBBLE MAN!," he hit the trigger, and glorious bubbles flew all around the men having their picture taken. The men started dancing around in the bubbles and cheering "YEA! BUBBLE MAN!" 

Julie and I sat in awe with smiles on our faces as if we had just witnessed the resurrection of Christ. "You have a camera in your hand, Val! Why aren't you taking pictures?!," Julie yelled in a panic. I snapped out of my trance and a photo shoot began. 


It was far more awe-inducing in person.

When the bubble gun ran out of bubbles, everyone in the whole park booed. Then The Bubble Man asked me to take a photo of himself and his daughter, aptly named Love.  He handed me his cell phone and I snapped their picture.

"You take a lousy picture," he grunted as he grabbed his bubble gun and walked out of the park.

It was a great afternoon.

2 comments:

  1. way to take a lousy picture, val. Way To Go - upsetting the bubble man like that!

    ReplyDelete